Friday, January 8, 2010

Soapbox

I just have to get something off of my chest. It's been on my mind for a while.

Nobody knows how to use apostrophes correctly and it drives.me.crazy. Of all the things to bug me, this would be one of the chief ones (not one's, ha. Although writing the word ones seems tacky and in poor form. Just saying.). Apostrophes show possession not plurals but it seems to be that anytime we have a plural we tack on an apostrophe to show it.

I know, I know--this has to be one of the most arrogant and presumptuous blog posts ever. Only weirdos like myself really care about proper grammar. Whatev. I try not to correct people on their grammar, mostly because that's rude.

But we're talking about the written word, folks, and this goes back to one of the first lessons we learn about grammar. I'm really wondering if the English teachers throughout the public school system even know how to use them correctly because this incorrect usage has become too prevalent. Everyone is confused how to use them right. I see it everywhere.

For example, this is not correct:

When referring to a decade: I was born in the 60's (should be 60s).

When referring to a plural last name: Please let me introduce you to the Smith's (should be Smiths).

My last name is a little tricky because it ends in an "s." The correct way to refer to Phillips in the plural form is Phillipses, not Phillips'. Unless you're referring to something that's ours.

I just see this everywhere--on billboards and advertisements mostly and it bugs. I could go on about this for a while and in more detail, but I just wanted to say that you don't have to put an apostrophe after every word you add an "s" to.

Okay. I will get off my soapbox now. Thank you.

9 comments:

mrs. jar said...

100% agree. :) Bugs me too!

Charlotta-love said...

Im glad Im not the only one thats bugged by this. Your the best.

;o)

Karianne Salisbury said...

Hello! I've been reading your blog for a while, but don't think you know me! I'm Christianne's sister and actually lived in your ward in Salt Lake for a while. (Kaylin was friends with my roommates.) So I thought it was funny when I somehow found your blog through my sister.

I'm an editor/writer too, so it makes me happy that I'm not the only one who can't help blogging about grammar. And I love your writing style! I had to say something and hope you don't mind my periodic presence here. :P

Ash said...

I care melissa! And I freaking love your blog! love you and miss you!! We still need to have our reading party...ha ha ha. Kaylin will be bored out of her mind.

Lauren said...

My biggest pet peeve, in terms of grammar, is when people say "supposebly" (see I don't even know how to spell it because it is not a real word) instead of "supposedly."

Jamie said...

Eats, Shoots, and Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation
by Lynne Truss

Read it. You will total wet your pants laughing and you will find a kindred spirit of grammar!

Jamie said...

Eats, Shoots, and Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation
by Lynne Truss

Read it. You will total wet your pants laughing and you will find a kindred spirit of grammar!

Karianne Salisbury said...

Thanks for the comment too, new blog friends are the best!

I was only living up there for a few months, but was roommates with Rachel Young, Mary Difiore, and Janelle Johnson.

Anonymous said...

Have you noticed how many people use are instead of our and your instead of you're?