Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Men...And Their Toys

What is it about guys having to have the latest and greatest toys? If it's not new and with the most advanced technology available then it's not worth having. This is something I sincerely do not understand.

Whenever I invite my cousin Ryan over to hang out, maybe watch a movie, he always says, "Eh. I don't really feel like watching it on the small TV." There is such judgment in his voice. You would think that our TV is the size of a portable DVD player. It isn't. It's just a regular-sized TV. I can still see the people on it.

When Allyson moved out she took her TV with her. This TV was down in the basement. We didn't use it a lot but it was always nice to be able to go downstairs and watch something if there were people upstairs.

For a couple of months the basement remained empty and slightly uninviting. Funny how the absence of a TV does that. So Kaylin bought a new one.

This TV is pretty cool. At least I think so. It's a flat screen, HD, all sleek and sassy on its stand. And Kaylin bought it for about $150 less than the original asking price. This sounds like a good thing, right!?

Kaylin, in her excitement, told people about the new TV. The girls generally responded with benign comments like, "Oh, that's cool." Or "Wow, what a great deal. It looks really nice."

The boys, however, responded with comments like, "It's only a 33 inch. That's kind of small."

"Because it's so small, you can't hook up a blu-ray player. Do you really want to do that?"

"Seriously, that sounds kind of small. Are you sure you don't want to upgrade it to a bigger size?"

"How do you expect me to watch Lord of the Rings or Star Wars on a TV of that size? Petite is the word coming to my mind right now."

Understandably, Kaylin was a little vexed. Seriously, what is it about guys having to have TVs that are the size of small movie theater screens?

This weekend, we went about redecorating our basement. We had a new TV and thought we needed to add some flair to the walls, maybe throw down a rug. It is so nice and cute. We've completely forgotten about our upstairs and now spend all of our time downstairs.

Once again, in her excitement, Kaylin wanted to share and said to our friend Alan, "Go downstairs and check out or basement! We fixed it up! We got a new TV and it's so nice."

Alan walked downstairs and then came right back up. "Yeah, I thought when you said you got a new TV that you meant you got..." (picture arms outstretched like he was measuring the size of a fish he caught) "...a TV, like a bigger TV."

And then Kaylin exploded. Poor Alan. Rest in peace, my friend.

3 comments:

Holly said...

A 33 inch screen seems huge to me. My tv is a 19 incher and it does the job just fine (so far, I think it'll be dying soon). Funny thing though, I want the new bigger tv. Sean doesn't really care.

kaylinannette said...

You are a bad person. You always paint me as the bad person. A) I would not have shared this story with the WHOLE world and B) I did not EXPLODE on Alan. He would only be so lucky. =)

Coordination Queen said...

evidently to boys, bigger is always better...