Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Feel Free to Psychoanalyze Me

I am almost finished with Gone with the Wind and I couldn't be happier. To be honest, this book is amazing. It's fantastic. I could gush about it all day. But I'll tell you one thing, I'm at the last thirty pages of the book and have no wish to finish it. I just don't think I can read anymore about Scarlett and Rhett's crumbling marriage. This is weird to me because hello! I've seen the movie, I know how it ends. But somehow, reading about two people who are actually good for each other slowly strip the other of pride and love is more than I can handle. I have laid awake at night feeling sick because my heart just hurts. You might say that maybe I get too invested in my books but I would argue that this is actually the sign of a superior writer.

I find this funny. I read a lot of books and I can handle just about anything--I'm no stranger to adult content. And yet, you ask me to read a book (or watch a movie) about two people on the cusp of divorce and I am reduced to a blubbering, emotional fool. I'm not entirely sure if this is just cute or obnoxious.

And yes, I'll finish it. I mean, I've read 800,000 pages so far, why not the last thirty?

1 comment:

Coordination Queen said...

Just so you know, as an almost 9th grader I was sick to my stomach as I read the end of the book. It made me so sad. And I cried. The morning I started high school, I broke down and cried over this book... I hate movies about divorce or bad marriages. I watched a movie that most people really like. I hated it. Even though it was a "happy" ending, it wasn't to me, because he left his wife.

So what does that say about me? :)