Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Attention . . . Good News In Store!

Well, I am happy to report that I have been offered a job. Happy day! The funds in the old bank account are rapidly depleting so it's about time I get myself solid work with a paycheck every two weeks. I was thisclose to donating plasma for a few extra dollars but memories of doing it in college prevented me from saying yes to the idea. Once, as a wee, poor college student, the person drawing my blood infilitrated my vein--meaning that she stuck the need all the way through. As a parting gift, I had massive bruises all up and down my arm which would have been cool since bruises are cool, but I'd gone swimming with my boyfriend's family up in Park City and my bruises were on display for everyone to see. Did I mention it was only the second time I'd met them? Yeah, they thought I was a crack whore from the streets. So upon thinking of donating plasma, I thought against it.

Happily, I've been offered a job with H.W. Lochner in their Public Involvement Department. They are an engineering firm who specializes in road development. I'll be working with the community about impending road work, gathering information or general opinion, educating the public, etc. At least that's what I think. Here are some good things about this place:

--It pays more money. Now I can finally afford Gucci handbags and Manolo Blahnik shoes.
--You can work 4 10s and then take a day off . . . who doesn't like the idea of a 3-day weekend?
--The company has a 10-year plan. This may sound silly to you, but how excellent is it that they actually have a plan for how they want their company to develop over the next 10 years? I'll admit, after my experience with the Sorenson Companies (my last two jobs), they merely reacted to the market. Hence, me getting the boot because they had no idea what they were doing.
--Hello! They specialize in road work. With the impending recession, I am definitely guaranteed a job. In fact, they say in times of economic distress, road work needs are inclined to increase because people will travel by car rather than plane. Of course, gas being what it is could have an impact on this, but still . . . .
--And the best news, the location is literally down the street from where I live which means my commute will only be 5 minutes. That'll be nice for the old gas stipend and also means I can sleep in a little later. Of course, I don't really know what it means to sleep in, if I sleep in past 8 o'clock I feel like such a schlep.

Anyway, I'm excited and hopeful that this will be a good job. As with any job, I guess we'll see how it works out but I think of all the jobs I've started since graduating college, this sounds like it'll have the most potential.

To those of you who have asked, sent me job postings, or offered encouragement, I really appreciate it. It's always nice to know your friends and family are behind you when you need a little pick me up. Thanks, guys! I love you all.

6 comments:

Holly said...

Yay! Congratulations! Sound like it'll be an interesting job. And here you were just a few posts ago complaining about the construction:)

So now we definitely need to get together soon as you will not have so much leisurely time on your hands. Josh has been e-mailing me back and forth but since he's not setting any plans I guess I will. E-mail me your schedule and we'll work something out.

AC said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
AC said...

Um, I'm a dork. That's what I get for making a public comment when I had been up all night finishing my thesis. May I just say, congratulations.

Charlotta-love said...

Fantastic! Now you can buy me a Gucci handbag!

Tracy Smythe said...

Congrats...you go girl! Sounds like a great job. Ummm...how about a pair of Manolo's for your fav. cuz???!!! Okay, Steve Madden's will do! :)

Amie said...

Congratulations. It sounds like a dream job. :) It's nice to see you taking the world on.