Monday, March 3, 2008

Where Did All of the Spoons Go?

When I was ten, I had to write an essay on where all of the missing socks go--I'm sure you're all familiar with those mateless socks that crowd your laundry basket week after week. Me, being the precocious, adorable child that I was, promptly wrote that the Boogeyman stole them. So lame, I even read my essay in front of the class; however, now I'm starting to wonder if the Boogeyman hasn't returned to my house because a few months ago I started to ask, "Where did all of the spoons go?"

My cute, red-handled spoons were becoming increasingly outnumbered by the forks, but especially the knives. Oh, those knives! How come we never lose those? And it seemed like every couple of days we had to run the dishwasher even though it was far from full. I'm sure those environmentalists would not be pleased.

I finally found the time to travel to Target on Thursday, with Kaylin and my friend Jeff in tow, with the plan to get new silverware so I didn't have to wash a spoon or fork every time I needed to eat. Kaylin and I went up and down the aisle, pointing out the ones we liked, the ones we didn't. For the most part, we are pretty cohesive when it comes to decorating which is good because being sisters, it would just be a lot of open defiance against the other's preference of decorating. (On a side note, we don't have the same taste in men, also a good thing.)

I picked up a box of silverware--they were kinda cute with squares of different sizes across the handles. I wasn't sure what I thought, was it worth the purchase? "What do you think, Kaylin? Do you like these?"

She grabbed them and peered at them closely. She shrugged her shoulders. "Sure, they're not bad. But what about those?"

Back and forth from one set to the next, but every time we kept coming back to the same box of silverware. Finally I held it up. "I think I like them."

Kaylin poked her finger into the box. "Oh, crap. I just lost my Lee Press On Nail in the box. Let me grab it."

At this point in time, my friend Jeff and I watched in amazement as she tried to fish out her Lee Press On Nail . . . until it slipped into the box below with the remainder of the silverware. "Oh, my gosh," I moaned, in between hysterics because I was laughing too hard, "we can't let someone else buy this box of silverware with your Lee Press On Nail floating in the box! Now we have to buy them!"

So Kaylin's press on nail is the reason behind our new silverware, which I do really like. But . . . if you eat at my house, just know that we promptly washed the silverware before eating off of them.



3 comments:

mrs. jar said...

You two are so funny. Some of mine and Tracy's funniest moments happened to be in situations very similar to that one of yours! Aren't sisters great? Love ya both. Muwah!

Tracy Smythe said...

I will always think of fake fingernails whenever I eat at your house from now on....thanks! Could you imagine buying a box of silverware and finding a fingernail in it? I would start barfing immediately. Too bad you couldn't follow that box with a camera. Or the Target customer service desk when the person returns it! That would be a great Seinfeld episode. Love ya!

Charlotta-love said...

LOL! That made my day. Can you imagine that call to customer service.

"Um, I bought some silverware here yesterday and there is a nail inside the box."
"A nail?"
"Yes, a red press on nail. I want a refund."