Monday, April 21, 2008

Not Just A Game

I watched an interesting show the other day . . . the famous pairings of guy/girl interactions. I'm not talking about it being spring and how there's love in the air. Instead, I'm talking about women's vain attempts to win over a man. Here's how you know when a girl is interested:

1) She laughs really loudly.
2) She leans in to the guy she's speaking to.
3) She tosses her hair.
4) She touches his arm.

I know this isn't news to anyone, particularly myself because I find myself doing this from time to time (but in my defense, I laugh loudly). However, I watched as every guy in the room found himself amongst a bevy of ladies--all who were displaying the typical signs that she had zoned in that guy as a potential partner. It didn't matter who he was, his singleness seemed to be his number one trait.

I even watched one guy take 30 minutes to cross the room about 5 feet long. You see, he was approached by a pack of girls every step he took. I was actually embarrassed for all of these girls. Who knew if he even wanted to talk to them! They came to him.

Now, there is no easy answer to the highs and lows of dating. And I'm not complaining (necessarily). But yesterday I heard something that disturbed me more than watching the girls flock to guys desperately hoping he would choose them out of the huge mass of available women.

Yesterday's lesson in Relief Society and Elder's Quorum was about the Melchezidek Priesthood, which had all of the potential to be a deeply powerful lesson. The priesthood is the channel through which God works, it's the basis of how our Church operates so effectively. And yet, I heard on multiple occasions girls mutter under their breath and even make (jokey) comments in Relief Society how they didn't understand people we considered to be just boys (read: immature) could have something as precious and powerful as the priesthood.

I'll admit, I certainly am a little jaded when it comes to my faith in men, but this shouldn't be how it is! We should not disparage the group that can give us priesthood blessings, baptize, administer temple ordinances, or bless the sacrament because we as women are feeling frustrated by our lack of prospects. Sadly, this is the way it is. There's no way around it. However, I choose to be happy with my life regardless of my marital status. Instead, we should show respect to the men in our ward because they are able to carry the priesthood. I couldn't ask for anything more than to know that I can call on my home teacher to give me a blessing if I needed one. And, if women really wanted to stick it to The Man, they would demand that their men are better. They wouldn't seem themselves as the inferior ones, instead they would insist on having a partner with whom they could be equally yoked.

Anyway, I know not all of you have to deal with this anymore (bless you :) ). But, I think it's important we teach our daughters and our friends to respect the people who righteously carry the priesthood.

3 comments:

bethanyr32 said...

Hey Melby!
I totally agree with you on this. Sadly, it even happens in the married wards - I'm a bit sick of hearing other sisters in my ward complain about their husbands immaturity constantly behind their back, instead of encouraging them to be the best they can. How can we expect men to be wonderful when we don't really expect it?

Charlotta-love said...

I'm interested to know what the other activity was...a ward activity? Isn't it fun to people watch. :o)

Very nicely worded blog.

Christy said...

Bravo! Well said.