Monday, February 18, 2008

Some Suggested Reading

Now I know that I have a list of recommended reads on the side, but if anybody knows anything about me they know that readng is my one true passion. I started reading when I was three years old and have never looked back. If you're looking for something good to read, here are a few of my faves:
  • To Kill A Mockingbird, Harper Lee. This book is so poignant and makes me cry every time. I have never read a book that is so full of meaning and intention. It really changes your perspective on how you look at other people. It's about two children in the deep South who have a lot to learn about racism, ignorance, and prejudice.
  • In the Time of the Butterflies, Julia Alvarez. This is a great book about four sisters in the Dominican Republic who decide to join the rebellion against the dictatorship of Trujillo. It's told from all four perspectives, and by then end you feel like you're one of those sisters.
  • The Thirteenth Tale, Diane Setterfield. If you're looking for a throwback to Jane Eyre or Wuthering Heights you will love this book for all its spookiness and twisted, layered story. It's one of the finest mysteries I've read in a while. And, it's all about twins!
  • Mama Day, Gloria Naylor. Not to insult anybody, but this book is not for the faint of heart. It's a pretty complex book, with multiple points of view, and a lot of symbolism. However, after To Kill A Mockingbird, it is my second favorite book. I don't really know how to explain it, though.
  • Can You Keep A Secret?, Sophie Kinsella. I think this is one of the most perfect books every written. Emma plays a girl who tries over and over to make things right and she cannot catch a break. However, when she tells all of her secrets to a stranger on a plane, she thinks nothing of it until she finds out he's the owner of the company she works for.

4 comments:

bec said...

I love finding new blogs to read.

Holly said...

I'm always looking for new books to read and I've only read To Kill a Mockingbird from your list. It's always exciting to get into a new book, especially one that's been recommended!

Charlotta-love said...

Can you Keep a Secret sounds interesting.

To Kill A Mockingbird is one of my all time favorites. I don't reread many books but this is an exception.

you like to read? I never knew. :o)

mrs. jar said...

You are so smart! I love To Kill a Mockingbird and have always wanted to name my daughter Scout.....Jimi says no.