Monday, February 11, 2008

Genealogists Are Real People, Too!

This weekend I was in St. George, Utah for a genealogy conference. Here is a taste of what some of the people had in store for us:
  • Referring to the mouthwash vial we use to collect the DNA sample--"What is that? Urine?"
  • "Why should I donate to your project? Why should I participate? Why do you think I'd be interested in DNA?" These are all questions uttered by the same person(s) within a thirty-second period.
  • "This is my favorite book of 2008--Hookers, Crooks, and Kooks." This is an actual genealogical resource book that you can use to trace illustrious women of "ill repute." There are actual census records that record if a woman was an actual prostitute. I checked all the family names and the Penmans, Pontiuses, and Wadmans are okay. Except for Phillips, I can't be sure. There were quite a few of them. We might want to research this matter a little further.
On the plus side, it was so bright and sunny in St. George! With the palm trees in St. George and the bright glare of the sun on my windshield, I felt like breaking out my shorts and flip flops. I think we're on the home stretch of winter because when we came back to Salt Lake, it was bright and sunny as well!

Up at the top is me outside of a Mexican restaurant called Pancho & Lefty's. We went because the name sounded fun. I mean, who doesn't want to hang out with a Pancho or a Lefty? But the food was pretty good too! Check it out if you're in St. George and looking for a place to eat.


No comments: