Wednesday, September 29, 2010

All Things Relate Back to Anne Shirley

Last night when I got home, I found my sisters Kaylin and Alicia, Alicia's roommate (I think her name is Megan), and Mindy all sitting on the couch watching TV.

Kaylin turned to me. "I wish you had been here earlier. Troy (our landlord) came over and asked us for advice and I was weirded out."

Turns out Troy had dropped by for a little house business and then wanted to lament over the fact that a guy he knows who is about our age proposed to his then-girlfriend with a pearl and not a diamond. According to Kaylin he said, "Can you believe that? A pearl! I saw the ring and it was just this round thing sitting on a ring. Seriously, can you believe it?"

Kaylin and Mindy were nonplussed. They didn't exactly see the problem, but that could have something to do with the fact that we so rarely see engagement rings these days. Although I think he has a point...a pearl?

"Well," I pointed out, "Gilbert Blythe did propose to Anne Shirley with a pearl."

Kaylin just stared at me, confused and a little irritated because she knew I was being retarded, but Alicia definitely knew. As the only other redhead in the family, she knew the Anne of Green Gables reference.

And then Alicia's roommate said, "Who's Gilbert Blythe and Anne Shirley? I guess I don't know these people."

3 comments:

Becca said...

Who is this girl?! Who doesn't know Anne Shirley? And Gilbert was totally a hottie; I'd take a pearl from him too. But let's be honest, I might take a pearl from anyone these days..... ;)

Holly said...

There is a little girl in my ward named Avonlea and Sean said, "They must really like that TV show..." He's oblivious to the fact that Anne of Green Gables is a book series and not solely a PBS show. Men...

Andrew and Cori said...

Ahh... such a classic story. My sisters and I lived off of that story growing up. :)