Tuesday, February 2, 2010

To Go Vegan? Compelling Evidence

Today at work I saw one of my co-workers and YOWSA! She was looking hot.

"Thanks," she said. "I went vegan and started working out."

Huh.

So what exactly does that mean? No meat and dairy. Ugh.

I'm kind of against the idea of being vegetarian or vegan because A) I'm heartless against the poor animals and don't really care, and B) I'm a big believer in eating protein with every meal. Because what do you eat if you're not eating protein? Carbs? Leafy green vegetables that are just crying out to accompany something juicy . . . like a steak?

And yes, I know, protein doesn't come solely in the form of meat. But still, I think it's important to eat meat. Balance, you know.

Also, if you argue that meat and dairy products hurt the poor animals, I respectfully disagree. I think it's inhumane to let the poor animals just wait around to be milked. Although I can't speak firsthand on this subject, I hear it can be a little painful. Just saying.

But I was truly interested in this vegan diet because again, she was looking so. freaking. good. And I'm not too proud to admit I was a tiny bit envious until she said, "And whenever I think about eating a pastry and then think about the pain animals have had to go through to make that pastry, well, it motivates me 100% not to eat it."

Yeah, that doesn't really motivate me. Guess I won't be making the switch any time soon.

4 comments:

mrs. jar said...

Me either. Bring on the danish! With a steak on the side. ;)

bec said...

I wonder if you lose weight when you're vegan because there is nothing good to eat, so you just eat less.

Coordination Queen said...

if by animals she means bakers... then maybe they burned their hand really bad on the pan... or maybe she just figures if she looks good she doesn't have to think?

Nola said...

I am not a huge meat eater, but I know there are other ways to lose weight. Lower calorie intake and increased excercise should work fine.