Wednesday, February 17, 2010

You Never Forget Your First Time

Lately, it seems that I keep hearing about the dangers of Facebook promoting infidelity among married couples. Maybe it's only Utah that is concerned about this, but there's always some warning against using Facebook as a means to reconnect with members of the opposite sex. The point is that it eventually leads to relaxed boundaries and suddenly, these newly reconnected friends are in love and leaving their spouses.

I think that this argument makes a fairly good point actually. When I think of marriages that disintegrate, it always starts with the small, insignificant stuff.

Yesterday, my old friend Dan* popped up on Facebook.

Dan: Melissa, how are you going to work on a road project and make sure your neon orange vest and hard hat don't clash with your Jimmy Choos?

Melissa: Dan, rest assured. If anybody can do it, that would be me.

Dan (in a sudden burst of excitement): This is so exciting! I've never actually IM'd on Facebook before! You're my first!

Melissa (in a typical burst of inappropriateness): Is it special for you? Because it's special for me.

And there you have it, folks. It always starts so innocently.

*Names changed to protect the innocent . . . i.e., the spouse.

3 comments:

bec said...

That is good information. I just deleted you from Brandon's list of friends. And Calvin's.

Charlotta-love said...

I've never heard of this facebook infidelity. Maybe it IS a Utah thing. Although, I think infidelity starts with not communicating to the fullest with your spouse. I mean, if Dan went and told his wife about your fun conversation, that's fine to me. If he never told her and kept wanting to IM you, that's totally different.

Basically I'm saying this post is funny. :o)

Jamie said...

Melissa,
How ARE you going to wear an orange vest and not clash? Share.