Tuesday, June 2, 2009

English Cuisine: The Ugly

Bacon Sandwiches: I was actually all for this until I saw the picture. I don't know, I have a problem with fatty meat. I was picturing crispy bacon; instead, it looks like it came straight from the pig.

Blood Sausage: also known as black pudding. Sausage made by cooking blood with a filler until it is thick enough to congeal. Oh, my gosh, I want to puke at the thought of it.


Kippers: an oily fish that has been gutted, split from end to end, and cold smoke. Oy! I can't figure what disgusts me more--blood sausage or kippers.

6 comments:

Coordination Queen said...

I was just sitting here eating breakfast... I'm done now even though the bowl isn't empty. I'm just grateful the whole picture of blood stuff didn't show up... just the top 1/5th of the picture.

Unknown said...

Oh girl! How can you stop yourself from eating something just to the sole knowledge of what's in it or how it's made... In mexico, it's one of the most wanted meals, we put it with some other ingredients, (yeah, some regular ingredients that you'll surely eat) and it's called "Moronga", not the best look, but surely one of the greatest tastes ever!
Besides, you'd allways keep in mind that "the taste is in the chef's work not in the meal itself"

Nola said...

Wow, I lived in England for 18 months and never had any of that!
I did have their bacon which is a let down because it is more like Canadian bacon.
I also had people threaten to give us black pudding, but I think it is more a Scottish delicacy.

Tracy Smythe said...

I think I just threw up a little in my mouth looking at that food. I hope you guys stick with the good stuff and take a big ole bag of trail mix just in case!

Charlotta-love said...

um...gross.

In other news, I think I have a suggestion for that reality show that pits couples against couples and they have to eat disgusting things. (you can tell how much I watch it since I can't remember the name of the show, but yeah, that one).

Carrie Hansen said...

Bring it on baby!!!! Ok- not really. I've done it so I might just enjoy being the photographer!