Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Silver Lining

It's been a wet and soggy winter, spring, and now summer. Very few people are happy about this and I must admit, I've been one of the chief complainers. Although I must admit that I've never seen the mountains quite this green in all my time in Utah (about ten years . . . can you believe that?!). I think they're stunning.

If ever there was a time for a silver lining, today is the day. I didn't really want to write anything about this, I was hoping that things would work themselves out and I could report Ta Da! New job! Instead, my report is that today I was laid off.

This isn't
actually a surprise. I've been expecting this for a couple of months and I've been spending every waking hour looking for a new job. But I'll admit, it hurt when I was called into the meeting that signified the end of the road. I felt it. And I know it's business and if it had been my decision I probably would have made some similar changes but still, it was personal. I felt insulted. I felt like I had been wronged. I probably have been wronged . . . but that's a whole can of worms I'd rather not discuss.

Here is what I can say--I believe in miracles and I believe in the sanctifying grace of the Savior. As I've waited for the end to come (that sounds so cryptic . . . sorry) I've prayed, fasted, attended the temple, and paid my tithing. For me, paying my tithing was especially key. I knew that I had to give my 10% before I gave anything to myself. I've learned so much about giving of myself to the Lord and acting in faith. If any of you know me well you know one of my greatest weaknesses is the tendency to rely solely on myself. It's gotten me in a considerable heap of trouble in the past and this time I was determined that I would rely on the Lord. I would let Him guide me through this challenge.

Right now, I'm not sure what the solution is. Who knows? Maybe it's time that I start writing that book I've thought so long about. I'm not much of a risk taker, but maybe it's time I start taking risks and really put myself out there! I don't really know. But not knowing what the future entails . . . oh, man, it drives me crazy! Of course, I've been living with that big question mark for years. I should be used to it by now.

Anyway, here's to the silver lining. To the green that emerges after months of rain. But here's hoping that the rain doesn't last too long. :)

4 comments:

Charlotta-love said...

Mel, I'm sorry! There's an opening at my job: my position. I'm going to part time when school starts so they need a new secretary. You would have to move but it's even GREENER out here!

:o( I hope the sun pokes through soon...

mrs. jar said...

Oh Meliss....I think I could definitely learn so much from you and your positive outlook. I know how hard it is to learn lessons on faith...why can't we just see down the road a little further???? You really are a great example and I love that you are seeing the silver lining (which is sooo not easy to do). Good luck and I will keep you in my prayers. Maybe you are right and this is the perfect time to do some serious writing after all. You are amazing! Love ya. See you this weekend. Tell Kaylin and Ry hi for me.

Amie said...

Mel - Sorry to hear about the bad turn of events - but your attitude is awesome. I've had my share of job-hunting frustrations, but you are right, there is something better for you around the corner.

Tracy Smythe said...

I ditto everything that Sarah wrote. I think you are incredible. I think you should write that book...you are the next JK Rowling or Stephenie Meyer. I think your outlook is inspiring. I get way too pissed off over dumb stuff. A little perspective really helps put everything back in place. Hang in there...can I hire you as my nanny? I can compensate you in orange cashew chicken!!!