Sunday, August 22, 2010

Being Real...For A Second

Maybe you're like me and you pick yourself apart from time to time and find every single thing that's wrong with you. I find myself doing it more often these days. If I went into all of the reasons why I do it...well, we'd be here all day. But lately, I've found myself thinking that I'm not as capable or likeable as I once was. Sometimes it just eats away at you.

For example, there are about a million things I'd like to change about myself. I have no idea why. I'm just an average girl...I just often think it's not enough.

Last week I was at the gym and was watching myself in the mirror as I did lunges off of the step from step aerobics class. For the record, that's one of the hardest things I do at the gym and I hate them. In no time I am breathing heavy and gasping for air.

This time as I was doing it I couldn't help but scrutinize every part of myself while doing these lunges. I was right next to the mirror and could see everything. I felt kind of low.

And then I noticed something--these lunges are 3 minutes long and as I said they are excruciating. But as I watched myself in the mirror, I saw how easily I was doing it. In my mind, my muscles ached for reprieve, but outwardly, my body seemed to handle it with no problem whatsoever. I didn't even seem winded.

I felt kind of proud and grateful for what my body can do. It made me look at myself a little bit differently. I didn't realize how much I am capable of.

1 comment:

Coordination Queen said...

You should be proud of yourself. I would have fallen flat on my face.