Thursday, November 19, 2009

My Kind of Home Teaching

Last night our home teacher came over (notice that I said home teacher and not home teachers).

We fed him dinner. Then we let him practice his med school studies on us. He was checking for occlusions in the nerves in our head. He did things like ask us to clench our teeth together, check our eyes, ask us to open our mouths and say Ahhh. I have no idea what exactly he was looking for. Funny thing is, he didn't really either. He said they would teach him that later.

And once he was done, he packed up his gear and grabbed the plate of food that we made him. Just before leaving he asked if there was anything he could do for us. I'm sure it comes as no surprise that we all said no.

To be honest, this question wasn't insincere. He may not have come with a lesson, but I appreciated that he came over. I think we underestimate the purpose of home teaching and visiting teaching--yes, gospel discussions are important but I think it's much more important to build a relationship of trust however that may be.

Funny though that our idea of trusting someone is to let us feed them and then send them on their way.

2 comments:

Holly said...

And of course, letting him practice his med studies on you.

Coordination Queen said...

you did let him check for occlusions... that has to count for some kind of trust. :)