Wednesday, November 18, 2009

A Little Gift

We got a surprise last night from our landlords . . . a Christmas tree! Like I said, I have the best landlords. They feel like family which has to be one of the nicest things.

I came home yesterday to see Troy standing in our dining room with a Christmas tree in the corner. His wife Keri and oldest son (Little Troy) had chopped down Christmas trees and had an extra. Troy brought it over.

This may make you ask, where was Troy? Out golfing. Keri officially wins the bad-A award of the year.

I haven't had a real Christmas tree in forever. We never had them in Alaska because Christmas trees aren't exactly indiginous there. So if you wanted a real Christmas tree you had to have one of the trees that were shipped up north from somewhere in the Lower 48--obviously, I'm hazy on the details. So far, this doesn't sound so bad. But do you know what kind of critters will take up residence in a Christmas tree that is being shipped up north? Spiders, snakes . . . bleh. My mom didnt' even mess with that.

When we moved to Washington and had just finished building our house, my mom was thrilled with the idea of a real Christmas tree. She tantalized us with the anticipation of the fresh pine scent that permeated the house. Sadly, we got a tree with no fresh pine scent and the needles fell off about two weeks after we bought it. But it was okay. We had a "spare" in the living room, although we never got a real tree again.

So the new addition to our household has instantly filled me with Christmas spirit. It was already bubbling somewhere under the surface but seeing the tree in our house inspired me to make an executive decision: I'm putting up my Christmas decorations this weekend.

Of course, I still support Thanksgiving. But with a Christmas tree.

4 comments:

mrs. jar said...

I have never had a real tree. Isn't that so sad? Merry Christmas to you! Little does Jimi know, but we are setting our stuff up after church on Sunday! Yipee!

Alicia said...

Oh Fun! You'll have to let me know what it's like to have a real tree. Is it fun? Or do they suck as much as the tree we had when we were little?

Holly said...

Amen! We had to clean out our storage area so the apartment can replace the furnace heater and all my Christmas boxes are in the living room. I told Sean we should just start decorating now!

Charlotta-love said...

I'm usually completely opposed to anything Christmas before Thanksgiving but seeing how you didn't go looking for the tree, chop it down, or drag it home, it's fine.

Have a wonderful time decorating. :o)