Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Warwick Castle!

I think we visited about 6 castles during our trip. The fun thing about visiting so many castles is that they are all different. They look different and have different attractions about them. So each new castle was a new experience in itself. Below is Warwick (pronounced Warrick) Castle which is located in Warwickshire.

Just a little FYI, Warwick Castle was built by William the Conqueror and was used as a fortification until it was converted into a country house in the early 17th century.

I know a lot of these pictures are the same shot just a different angle or coloring, but I like them. Oh, wait, the one below has me in it. What a difference that makes between the two pictures.



What I liked about Warwick Castle was the medieval feel the castle had. I think it was the perfect introduction to our first castle. Ladies-in-waiting and knights strolled through the streets. We saw two peacocks on the open lawn. It all felt very much like we had spiraled through time.



One of my favorite shots. This is taken from the top somewhere looking down. It's just so picturesque.








We each took a shot.

There's a sudden transformation between the outside and the inside. Like I said, the outside is full of medieval feats of display, but once you get inside, the castle's furnishings have been preserved to show the country house it had become for the Earls of Warwick. Around the 15th or 16th century, many castles had started to decay from disuse or be converted into country estates as this one had.

Note the wall of books. Sigh.




Check it out! Merlyn's sword in the stone! If only we had gotten a picture of my triumphant removal of the sword.



















This is a tiny passageway that extends to the other side of the tower. I was not a fan while crossing this. Not because of the tight squeeze, but because the floor was springy. There were vents with holes that allowed you to see all the way down below. Um, no. I just kept seeing the vents collapsing under my weight. There's video footage below.



A trebuchet, or modern speak, a catapult. This happens to be the largest catapult in the world.


I'm not entirely sure how to get this right side up. Ideas?







1 comment:

Coordination Queen said...

Yeah, my country home looks just like that...

it is gorgeous. I love those pictures.