Monday, July 20, 2009

A Surprising Discovery

Before leaving for England, I had made a list of foods that I would and would not eat while over there. I'm sure many of you remember the blog post. However, I was really surprised by how fun it was to try new foods. It was actually one of my favorite parts of the trip.

Below is a kipper, I was dead set against eating it. But our host family was really excited for us to try it. Kippers are a salted, smoked fish (generally a herring) that come with a bap, which to us is known as a bread roll.

The picture isn't great, but we had to try it. Thankfully with the help of the bap it wasn't too bad. I wasn't really a fan of it. I guess me and herring are not friends.

Chips, cheese, and gravy! Our host family started to get excited about introducing us to new foods on the island and we were happy to comply especially with something as good as chips, cheese, and gravy. At first, I was a little skeptical. It sounds kind of gross. But it is so tasty. When you think about it, if you've ever had a casserole with mashed potatoes, cheese, and gravy, that about sums up what chips, cheese, and gravy tasted like. We actually replicated it for our friends when we got home and it was still so good. I highly recommend this!

Notice that my chest and lips are burned. Boo!

And lastly, a deep-fried Mars bar. Okay, you can get this at the fair, but we were caught up in the experience of trying new foods. The Brits love Mars bars, which is the equivalent of a Three Musketeers or Milky Way for us. What's not to like about a candy bar that's all hot and gooey on the inside? Ignore the possibility of a heart attack . . .




1 comment:

bec said...

Do they call the french fries & gravy putine in England? That's what they call it in Canada and they even sell it in McDonalds. Weird, huh? I think I was too disgusted by the fact that french fries had found a way t become more fattening and I wasn't a fan.