Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Visiting Liverpool--A Hard Day's Night, Yo

Please don't misunderstand me when I say this, but visiting Liverpool--birthplace of the Beatles and also the departure point for many Saints during the early formation of the Church--felt a little like visiting Salt Lake City. The reason I say this is every time I go to downtown SLC I can feel such a sense of history. It's like I feel the pioneers trekking across the plains and arriving here. I wouldn't say Liverpool is exactly that way, but I would say you can definitely feel that Liverpool has its own sense of history. There is certainly a unique spirit about that town.
Upon first look, Liverpool is a little dreary. It's right on the water, and on the particular evening that we visited it was gray and cloudy. You are definitely in an industrial town. But as we walked around I couldn't help but get a little excited. There's a lot to experience in this unassuming place.

Of course, first, there is the Beatles.

An important Liverpool messaging point.

The first place where the Beatles played! Okay, we didn't go inside, it was enough to just go check it out.





While waiting to get our food in this good, old-fashioned pub, Mindy got a little crazy. I mean, seriously, she was kind of embarrassing.

I mean, they tried to be respectable.

But Kaylin got out of line.

And then Carrie. What will I ever do with these girls?

This is where I ate my first fish and chips. I was mad excited. I mean, that's practically the whole reason I went in the first place. Until they brought me my plate. Check out my fish and chips, and check out how my fish looks like an actual fish. Oh, yeah, that's because it was. Ugh. When I first dug in all I could see was skin and I immediately lost my appetite. This was my first true American moment. I expected a filet. I did not expect my fish to have bones or skin. Sad! I felt a little let down. Luckily the other side was skinless and I was able to get through some of my meal, it just wasn't what I was hoping for in my idealistic, spoiled-Americana way.

Note my dismay.

Kaylin, on the other hand, was unperturbed.

Mine.

Hers. She's a go-getter.

I have no idea who this guy is. At first I thought it was a statue of Elvis Presley and I was like, why would Liverpool have a statue of Elvis Presley? It wasn't him and I forgot the dude's name. I couldn't, however, resist a photo op.



Yay! I really loved Liverpool!


No comments: