Tuesday, April 7, 2009

I Live for Danger

I'm starting the public involvement for a new road project (stimulus money is starting to trickle down) and one of the less than exciting job duties are door-to-doors. Actually, I don't mind them too much. You just drop off fliers announcing updated information or road projects. If the weather's good (like today) then it's great, you walk up and down streets and if you're like me, you easily get lost in the moment. This new project, however, has presented its own new challenges. I started my door-to-door on Friday and delivered fliers to over 200 homes in snow and rain. I was soaked. I really liked walking in the snow until I got wet! And then I peaced out. See ya.

Today I visited a business park which I thought would be really easy. Think about it: there are a handful of businesses in one building, you take the elevator, you drop them off with the receptionist--easy peasy. Yeah, no. Every building had windy hallways and I had no idea if I was venturing into office space that only employees could be in or if I was finding the lone office in the back. Not to mention that every office had glass windows so I tried to look as inconspicuous as possible but how do you do that when someone is watching you through the window? Bleh.

The highlight of the business park was when I got locked in a stairwell. I probably should have brought a coworker. I realized once I got locked in that perhaps some masked weirdo could come in and attack me. But notice my panic when the door I walked through was the same door that wouldn't let me through! Bugger! I had a phone with me but who do you call? 911? Your mom? How weird would that be when you called someone and said, "Um, I'm locked in a stairwell in a business park. I don't know which building I'm in though." I walked up to the next floor and yeah, that door was locked too. One floor opened up to a completely empty office space. I walked to the basement and walked into a boiler room. Talk about creepy! Finally I found an exit door to the outside and I didn't care if it was going to set off a fire alarm, I was walking out. I did and thankfully no alarm sounded. But whatev if the alarm sounded. Like I said, I live for danger.

3 comments:

Charlotta-love said...

Wa-HILD child!

Back when I was in charge of a homecomeing dance, I checked a stairwell and was locked inside. No banging would be loud enough since the music was playing and people were more interested in dancing than walking past a random stairwell by chance. I had to exit through a door that said an alarm would sound. It didn't but I was so scared the alarm would go off and everyone at the dance would know that 'some stupid girl got locked in the stairwell'. Thankfully nothing sounded and I returned to my post as if I were not a dumb blonde.

Coordination Queen said...

LOL. I think I would have stressed out about being locked in the stair well... I get slightly claustrophobic.

mrs. jar said...

You are so funny!!! I love it! Glad you survived the stairwell. Creepy!