Friday, April 3, 2009

A Day Playing in the Mud

Last weekend I went to the Festival of Colors down at the Hare Krishna (pronounced hari) temple in Spanish Fork. Who knew that Spanish Fork had a big old Hindu temple? Okay, I knew, but a lot of people don't know that. It's kind of funny because when you travel to Spanish Fork it has a very prevalent small town feel, you definitely feel like you're in the country, and then you see a temple . . . and not an LDS temple. I think it's really pretty, but yeah, it definitely feels out of place.

Apparently, there were about 3,000 people at the Festival of Colors. I've heard about the Festival of Colors for years and I was really excited to go, but to this day I still don't know the purpose behind the festival. I just know that there's music, llamas, body surfing, and A LOT of colored corn starch.


This is the Hare Krishna temple in Spanish Fork. Check out how many people were there . . . that's just a fraction. Also check out the temple, it's very pretty.

The main attraction to the Festival of Colors is you can buy colored corn starch and people throw it around and basically you get covered in so many different colors. As you can see, once people started throwing the cornstarch it created a massive colored cloud. We were right in the middle of it and by the end I was coughing and trying to breathe at the same time. It got deep in my lungs--it smelled awful and really choked me up; however, it was pretty fun, just being in this big cloud of pink, green, purple, blue, yellow . . . .

This is me getting all tangled up in the mess. If you look closely at my face you can see the slight outline of a handprint on my face. Also, because I wear so much lip gloss (I know, it's an addiction, you don't have to remind me), it just stuck to my lips and made them look big and swollen. I mean, I know we all want Angelina Jolie lips, but I got some serious freak show stares from many people. I tried to wipe it off but the inevitable occurred--I had to reapply my lip gloss because now my lips were dry and then someone would throw more corn starch in my face. This happened twice. Naturally, it stuck to my lips like glue. I finally gave up after a while and resigned myself to the idea that I couldn't save myself from the corn starch or my ginormous lips.


Mug shot! Check out my teeth . . . they're kind of blue. Also, you can see the handprint on my face better. It took four hair washes to get the corn starch and purple out of my hair. You should see our shower. It's kind of disgusting. It left a purple residue along the floor. Also, all of our jeans now have a pink residue to them (we were forewarned by Kaylin to wear old clothes) and my underthings are now bright pink. I guess the sacrifice one pays for playing in a big bowl full of color!

2 comments:

bec said...

I've always wanted to go to that. You'd think in the amount of time I've lived in Provo I would have actually gone by now...

Coordination Queen said...

Oh man, that looks like fun! But I'm glad I don't have to clean your shower.