Thursday, October 2, 2008

IOC Makes Halfhearted Attempt



Look at these girls. There is no way that these girls are 16! However, yesterday, the IOC determined that the Chinese women's gymnasts who competed in the 2008 Olympic games, and caused so much controversy that had groups of people crying foul play, were in fact of age to compete. I'm sorry . . . look at these girls! This is impossible.

Apparently, the Chinese government supplied satisfactory documentation proving their ages. I guess the cynic in me is thinking that sure, they can supply adequate information. They make the documents.

If these girls are really 16, then I find the Chinese government's behavior reprehensible. These girls' bodies have been stunted all in the name of Olympic gold medals. They look like children. In my opinion, this is no longer an issue of building teams and athletes worthy of Olympic competition. I think they've been robbed of their childhood. I think these poor girls have been manipulated in the name of bringing 'honor' and 'respect' to Chinese athletics. It bugs.

2 comments:

Christy said...

Amen, sista.

mrs. jar said...

Don't get me started on the Chinese!! Their government probably doesn't even know what a 16 year old girl looks like because they allow their people to totally and completely disregard their baby girls and throw them into orphanages as infants because they aren't boys!! And then, they make it next to impossible for American families to adopt them unless they go to the moon and back and have mega bucks. Ok, not next to impossible, but pretty darn hard! And ok, not to the moon and back, but to China and back....twice!

Yikes! Can you tell that this bothers me a bit?!?! Really, this is a long note just to say that I tagged you, so check it out!