Saturday, September 6, 2008

Officially Moved In!

I haven't lived in a house in ten years. I can't decide if that's pathetic or extremely cost effective. However, we're unpacked (mostly) and I really love it so far which is great because I was feeling somewhat ambivalent to the move. Especially considering that Kaylin and I are the proud owners of A LOT of stuff. It was almost embarrassing when the extremely nice boys who came to help us move asked if there was anything else to move and I had to answer . . . yes, upstairs . . . yes, in the spare room . . . yes, the porch swing outside. I wondered if everyone would consider us to be ridiculously materialistic. Well, maybe I am.

The house is great, but here are a few surprises that we've encountered:
1) Spiders. Okay, I can handle some spiders and our landlords have had the place fumigated (sp?), but on our first weekend we found a Hobo spider on the wall. Um, no. I don't do Hobos. It was made even more poignant by this weird lady at the Home Depot who thought it was hilarious when she recommended that we put the Hobo spider trap on our pillows at night and then also that on average we eat six spiders in our lifetime. Yes, lady, I've heard that statistic. And no, lady, did I want to be reminded of that with Hobos running through my underwear drawer (thank you, Mindy for that visual).

2) The electricity is slightly defunct. It flickers throughout the day and gives minimal light. In fact, Mindy was using the iron and it was still flickering! That doesn't bode well.

3) The washing machine broke down. One of the nice things about this place is it came with a washer and dryer, and saves me from having to buy one anytime soon. But the first time we used it it made this weird burning smell in the basement (where I live) and didn't even finish the cycle. There's currently water in there because fortunately Kaylin had the foresight to just do a rinse cycle rather than putting clothes in there first. When the technician came he said that apparently our power is at a 90 volt, but it really should be at a 120 volt (see the aforementioned comment about the electrcity). Luckily, our landlords are on it. An electrician is coming to take care of it.

Overall, the place is great. I'll post some pictures later so you can check out la casa de leche! Okay, that's not what we're naming it, but I think it has a certain ring to it, don't you think?

3 comments:

Anna Winn and Family said...

Watch out for defunct washing machines!!! :) I'm glad you get to move into a house - it's so...settling isn't it? ANyway - I read the twilight series and LOVED it!! Good stuff.

Amie said...

Yae! It's nice to live in a house. It's like how moving into your first apartment made you feel so grown up. I lived in a house once where you had to turn the shower off with a towel because otherwise you'd get shocked when you touched the knobs. It was in Brazil, but still.

mrs. jar said...

Your place sounds so fun and adventerous! Oh, and I got your text and totally forgot to text ya back. We would LOVE to be your dinner guests. Let me know when you're thinking. Love ya!! Good luck with the spider thing, that totally made me cringe. I so hate spiders. There was a black widow trying to get in my house last week! Yuck. Seriously, not my favorite.