Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Thank Goodness for Good People

Picture this: a rainy, soggy morning. Yesterday I wore capris and sandals, today I'm wearing a jacket. How fickle Utah weather can be! Rain sloshes onto my car and I absent-mindedly turn on the heat--my toes are getting cold because I still insist on wearing open-toed heels, even in all of this rain. I accelerate down the road, except wait . . . I'm not accelerating. I'm barely going 35 mph. I pull over to the side of the road.

Yep. A flat tire.

Slowly, I make my way back home. I pull into the covered parking and for a moment start to panic. I never learned how to change a tire. I forged my dad's signature during Driver's Ed that said I learned how to do that! So not only am I a liar, I'm a liar with bad karma. It's 9 a.m. in the morning and most people have left for the day . . . I search the parking lot for any cars I recognize. Is there anyone home today?

Thankfully, my friend Mary is just walking to her car. I embarrassedly explain that I have a flat tire (because I don't like asking for help) and she immediately jumps in. Mary totally cracks me up, she completely takes charge. She grabs the jack and goes to town. I try to help but she's in control. "No, I've got it. You're slacks and heels by the way."

We're having some trouble with the jack and luckily a man is walking by. He offers to help but as soon as he gets dirty he splits. So much for chivalry.

Thankfully, my neighbor steps outside. He quickly gets the tire off and the doughnut (sp?) on . . . regardless of his dirty hands. I'm able to get my car to Les Schwab where they quickly fix the tire.

To continue with the lucky streak . . . thank goodness for good people!

2 comments:

Coordination Queen said...

Maybe you should get AAA. :) My sister got a flat while we were on the way home from a party. Early the next morning my dad woke us up to take us and teach us how to change the flat. Thankfully I paid attention to a video they showed in english a couple weeks before about changine flat tires. All I had to do was explain and I got to go back to sleep. Thank goodness for the helpful neighbors!

Charlotta-love said...

Ah, thank goodness for good people! you should learn how to change a tire though. It's really not complicated. :o)

ps. I like your template!