Monday, May 5, 2008

Sugar Free--Week 1

Hey folks, here's a progress report on my quest for sugar-free bliss--it actually isn't as hard as I thought it would be. I do have to be pretty conscientious of what I eat, but I'm finding it to be relatively easy to say no, mostly because I decided in advance that I just didn't want it. However, I've discovered the culprit in my war against sugar. I was feeling pretty good the first day, no unnecessary cravings, but then I noticed that every time I turned around at my desk I came face to face with my nemesis: the candy jar.

It happens to be at my co-worker's desk, and every time I saw it it planted a little plug in my head, "ME WANT CHOCOLATE." It has all of my favorite stuff--seriously, look at it! I thought it was interesting--I never buy that stuff so I don't normally think about it. But when it's in front of me, I have a hard time saying no.
Anybody else like this?

Anyway, this is not to say that the rest of the month will be easy to resist, but I feel encouraged in a way. I'm realizing that my real weakness with chocolate (and other undesirable foods) stems more from seeing it and immediately wanting it. I don't think, I just react. The thought that I react and let my body control my mind actually bugs me, I don't like the idea of being controlled. Hopefully, this serves to actually teach me more about control and discipline in the future.

3 comments:

Charlotta-love said...

way to go Mel! We have a mint jar here. It's in a central location so I always see it. But...I have a little tally mark calendar at my desk. Making that CHECK each day under 'no mints' is worth it.

Christy said...

Just wondering, are you eliminating sugar entirely, even as an ingredient, or just sugary treats? If it's the first option, then wow, that must be hard.

Coordination Queen said...

That is impressive. I'm not sure I could hold out looking at that candy jar each day.