Monday, January 28, 2008

Remembering President Hinckley

With the passing of President Hinckley, it's made me think about his life and ministry, and especially of the effect he's had on me. President Hinckley was the prophet during my formative years. When I first began to discover the stirrings of the Spirit in my heart he was the prophet who figuratively and literally led me along my way. In so many ways, I have listened to his words and not felt that he was a random, unknowable man speaking tiredly about the age-old subjects of scripture study, prayer, faith, etc., but a man who genuinely cared about me even though he never knew me. I have felt his love radiate through the airways, especially for his wife Marjorie. Except for the love that I have seen my father show my mother, and my grandfather show my grandmother, his love and devotion for Sister Hinckley reigns as one of the most supreme examples of how a man should love a woman. Even after her death, his affection for her never ceased. I am awed by that fact. It's love in its purest sense.

My favorite memory of President Hinckley is my freshman year at BYU when he visited for a devotional. Being on the other side of campus, I dashed to the Marriott Center only to be ushered to the top of the stands--the nosebleeds as they are affectionately known. At first I was bugged and thought I should have just skipped class so I could have been closer when he arrived, but when President Hinckley walked into the Marriott Center--he at the bottom, me at the very, very top--the Spirit flooded the Marriott Center and it welled up inside of me until I thought I would burst. I was amazed that the presence of one man who was so far away and yet so close could impart such a strong sense of the Holy Ghost. To this day, I can still feel it. I don't know if it's possible that anyone could have ignored the buoyant, weightless feeling of the Spirit as one man--the prophet--entered the room. I have loved President Hinckley from afar, and I am grateful for the words he's spoken, the books he's written, and especially for that sly sense of wit. He will be missed. But I look forward to the future, for the next prophet to build on the foundation that President Hinckley along with every other prophet has laid.

5 comments:

The May Family said...

That was beautiful. Pres. Hinckley was truly an amazing person! Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts on him. I think it helped me reflect on the impact he has made in my own life.

Anonymous said...

this is a test

Kellie said...

I was at the Marriott Center that day too. Exactly as you wrote, the spirit literally flooded the room. A room with thousands of people, no small space. I FELT it wash over me and penetrate into my heart.

Anonymous said...

Melissa, you are such a talented writer. Your words are so fluid. I love your thoughts on President Hinckley. On a much more irreverant note, I tagged you. If you go to my blog, copy it, change it, then post it, you'll be set. I normally don't do this kinda stuff, but it has been sorta fun...see you at the baptism on Saturday???

mrs. jar said...

Melissa, you are such a talented writer. Your words are so fluid. I love your thoughts on President Hinckley. On a more irreverant note, I tagged you. I normally don't do this kinda stuff, but it has been pretty fun. Just go to my blog, copy, paste, change then post it, and ta-da, you're done. See you at Alix's baptism Saturday????