Tuesday, May 31, 2011

A Lesson in Hashtags

I have recommitted to my Twitter account. When I first signed up I thought it was pretty stupid and did not understand the reason behind it. Why would I use Twitter to read other people's status updates when I have Facebook? But then I discovered something magical: I could get all of my news off of Twitter. Suddenly I was catching up on CNN, FoxNews, E! Entertainment, Jim Rome (for any sports fans out there) all in one place (and often in the middle of my meetings which makes the pain of sitting in a long meeting so much more bearable).

Clearly, I had to share the good news.

I have converted one other follower, and what a follower he is. Every time I see him we have in-depth discussions about what's going on on Twitter. I have to admit, it's a little bizarre and we get the strangest looks. And now, rather than us actually texting or calling each other, we tweet to each other.

News Flash: Talking to someone face0-to-face no longer exists.

Conversation #1:
Me: Eating Mongolian Grill BBQ for lunch. #Delicious.
Friend: Love the hashtag but hashtag the place too! It sounds delicious!

Now, for a lesson in hashtags: all a hashtag simply is is a keyword. You can type in the hashtag in the Search menu on Twitter and pull up all of the tweets that have used that specific hashtag. Anyway...

Me: I bet when I tell you it's in Springville that would make it sound even more tempting! #TooFarAway.

Conversation #2:
Me: Decided to go off the sugar for a couple of weeks. Last time I did this I indulged unmercifully afterwards. #NoRepeats.
Friend: Why would someone do this? #QuestionSanity
Me: A very good point. #HaulMeOffToTheLoonyBin

And so, our friendship has now become a game of who can out-hashtag the other. Personally, I'm pretty sure I can win this one.

3 comments:

Jennifer Palmer said...

I always wondered about the hashtag on Twitter. I just thought it was so dumb, but it was only because I was ignorant...I now know what a tool for hilarity it can be hahahahaha

Anna Winn and Family said...

i am so lost with that post. I have no clue what 90% of it meant (sigh) that's how out of touch I am huh?

Coordination Queen said...

I learn something new everyday.