Sunday, April 11, 2010

Recommitted . . . Oh, And My Gaydar Just Went Off

I'm recommitting to achieving and maintaining balance with my life. Does anybody else struggle with this? It's probably a lifelong pursuit, so here goes . . . again. And again.

I love working on my new project. I laugh all day long. So few people get to laugh as much as I do; I feel lucky. I come home with a million stories. People are probably tired of hearing my "funny" stories but I love sharing them.

Last week my co-worker John walked past me to his cubicle. It seems to be that this new project demands meetings all day long from all of us. Sometimes I like them, sometimes not so much. Sometimes I feel like a hamster in one of those running wheels, just going and going and feeling like you're not going anywhere.

"Melissa," he said, "What's going on in the world? I feel like I have no idea what's happening out there."

I can relate. My life has been going at warp speed since I started the new job. I barely even check Facebook these days, which is really saying something. It doesn't help that they blocked Facebook at work . . . those dirty rats.

"Hmm, let's see." I said. "Did you hear about the miners in West Virginia?"

"Yeah. Didn't about 25 die in an explosion?"

I nodded. "It's so sad. Working in a mine must be so terrible. It's so dangerous."

"And so dirty."

I gave him a look. "My gaydar just went off."

He got a confused look on his face. "Gaydar? Why? Because we're talking about coal miners?" He is absolutely clueless.

"Working in a coal mine must be so dirty." I mocked. "Gross . . . it's just so dirty. Ew, I just hate the dirt."

He burst out laughing. I did too. We sat there in our cubicles laughing mindlessly. He took it a step further and grabbed a banana from his desk and held it to his ear. "Ugh, I hate coal mines. They're so dirty. Ew. Dirt is bad."

A banana? What? He chose a banana of all things?

I was dying and couldn't contain myself erupting into loud, exuberant laughter. It carried throughout the office. I couldn't stop. Like I said, I just laugh all day long.

Tomorrow I get my safety gear--hard hat, protective glasses, reflective vest, and steel-toe boots. Are you as excited as I am?

2 comments:

Coordination Queen said...

so, are we going to see pictures of your new gear? and yes, finding balance is a daily struggle. if you figure it out, let me know.

Charlotta-love said...

I'm always trying to achieve balance. Sigh

So this is my favorite title ever. Well, basically anything with the word gaydar is going to be funny. :o)