Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Taking On the Man

So all joking aside, when my boss and I discussed how to infilitrate a small army of male construction workers, I really was listening. This project isn't like anything I've worked on. When I first started working on construction jobs, my boss said to me, "Don't talk to them like you're their friend. They don't like that. Just tell them what you want and then hang up the phone." She said this in response to my mentioning that every time I talk to one of those guys on the phone, they always sound super confused. I find this weird . . . I'm not asking them for directions on how to dismantle an atomic bomb. I'm just asking if there are going to be any traffic impacts that I should tell people about.

I've been working on this advice. It is so hard. I have a hard time just calling someone and barking out an order. I like to ease into why I'm calling. I like exchanging pleasantries. In short, I'm all girl. I prefer to say hi and then say why I'm calling. Isn't that the polite thing to do?

Here's what's funny: it totally works to bark out orders to these guys. They like it. Weird. I'm finding that almost all men are like this--not just construction workers. Just think about that.

Last week, I introduced myself to one of the construction managers. I stuck out my hand to shake his.

"I haven't met you, yet. I'm Melissa."

"Oh, hi, it's nice to meet you."

He just stared at me. Not in a creepy sort of way, but like he's expecting me to say something that will really impress him. Obviously, I did what anybody would do.

I panicked and started to ramble.

"Um, the last project you worked on--that huge one in Salt Lake--I work for the company that did the public information on it. You know my co-worker, right?"

He continued to stare at me. Nothing. No words came out of his mouth.

I started to breathe heavy.

"Well, she says hi."

Actually, no, she didn't say hi. I just had no idea how to wrap up.

3 comments:

Charlotta-love said...

Inner thoughts of a woman: "OMG! You said that I said 'hi'?! Now he thinks I was thinking about him when I wasn't. What if he thinks that I like him? Why did you say that I said 'hi'?"

Inner thoughts of a man: "I should have had 3 burgers at lunch. Those 2 didn't help me at all."

Coordination Queen said...

Barking out orders... I'll have to see if that works around here. :) I love Charlotta's insight.

Amie said...

This story is awesome because I totally feel exactly who awkward it must've been for you. Nice writing there, Phillips.