Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Adventures in World Traveling 1:3, Death By Slug (Almost)

The night before we headed to the Lake District, we traveled to the home of a mission buddy of Carrie's. His name is Sheldon and he is about the nicest guy. We didn't get to his house until midnight and Sheldon was eagerly waiting up for us even as the rest of his sweet family slept. Little did I know that staying with Sheldon and his family would bring me to one of my greatest adventures yet in England . . . slugs.

I know, you probably think I'm being dramatic. Whatever. This is a true story. Since it was so late at night, Sheldon only had the light on in the dining room which dimly lit up the family room. We sat in semi-darkness as we talked and I gradually felt my eyelids begin to flutter shut.

As Sheldon said good night we started preparing for a night with few comforts. He offered us what he had: two thin, fleece blankets, and a blanket big enough for a twin-sized bed. At first I stared--there were five us. I settled in for a long, cold night.

Sheldon came back. "Oh, yeah. There's a hole in the corner of the living room and we get the occasional slug. We've tried everything to stop it . . . salt, plugging it, you name it, but they always come back. Don't worry, we don't get them too often, just be aware."

Slugs? Whatever. I looked to the wall that he pointed at, the light now on, and didn't see anything. I figured it was like when you know there are spiders in the house. You see them occasionally, but they don't really bother you.

Just as Mindy and I started unfolding one of the blankets she looked up and pointed at the biggest, juiciest, fattest slug I have ever seen. I was shocked. I REALLY was not expecting slugs.

We found two more just after we took these pictures. Like WTF! This particular slug happened to be right by the pillow where Kaylin planned on sleeping. It was so gross. You could see their slimy trail. I think I've only seen one or two slugs and then suddenly we are upon four.

My reaction--the pinnacle of poised and composed. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. So I laughed.

My one regret is we didn't get a picture of the "solution" which was moving our little blanket into the dining room where four sleepy girls cuddled up together while Mindy slept on the couch. We were practically under the dining room table. Mindy gave us the blankets and slept in her coat, socks, and hoodie. She was really quiet the rest of the next day, the sure sign that she did not get enough sleep the night before. I can't say that any of us really slept well that night but it certainly resulted in one of the funniest moments of the trip.

Watch out: slugs are hazardous to your health.

No comments: