Friday, May 1, 2009

Doh!


One of my greatest memories from college is BYU Men's Volleyball--hello, Scott Bunker anyone? Sigh. When I heard a couple of month's ago that the National Men's Volleyball Championships were going to be held at BYU this year I was pretty excited . . . the tickets were affordable and I didn't care who would be playing. Of course, I was certainly hoping to see some sweet BYU action. Like I said . . . good times. Lest I jinx anyone, it seems to be the one thing that BYU can do right . . . but I didn't say that out loud, okay?

I invited a friend to go with me to the championships, we even both wore blue. Before we went to the game we stopped at The Brick Oven (talk about a trip down memory lane!) for dinner, except it was full of women. I'm not kidding. There were ladies everywhere! Old, young, skinny, plump. No babies, though. No significant others. Just chicks. You don't normally see that except during General Conference weekend during the Priesthood session. Needless to say, I was a little puzzled. But we pressed forward and got dinner, although it was not at The Brick Oven since the wait was ridiculously long.

As we headed toward the Smith Fieldhouse . . . ah, this is cracking me up just talking about it, it's only been a million years since I graduated! . . . I had this feeling. Something wasn't right--you can see where this is headed. I checked my tickets and yeah, the championships are for NEXT WEEK. My guess is we were in the middle of Women's Conference, thus the plethora of estrogen in the city. OMG, are you kidding me?

I was mad embarrassed. It's like, I'm so thoughtless sometimes! Why is this? I sheepishly told my date I'd brought him on the wrong night and he just laughed amidst my bright red cheeks. I laughed too, though. What else can you do? So next week is the official National Championships. After all of this work, you know I'll be there.

10 comments:

Coordination Queen said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Thanks for the laugh!

Holly said...

Ha! Oh well, at least you got to go to Brick Oven. Man I love that place! Have fun next week;)

Alicia said...

Hahaha. I think if I would have been in this position my face would have been redder!!!

bec said...

if you have time when you're in Provo, feel free to stop by. It'd be fun to see you!

Andrew and Cori said...

So- are you taking the same guy next week? :) You are so funny!! Whenever we come up North and drive through Provo, it's always the same- haunting memories that overwhelm you... I actually like it. Some of my best memories are of Provo. Hope you have a great time... next weekend.

Charlotta-love said...

Mel, that is awesome. And hello...I loved Scott Bunker. Ahhh...man I loved BYU Volleyball!

So, let me indulge you with a personal story that happened to me, I mean, a friend of mine just last night. So she and her back-together boyfriend decided to make dinner together. They emailed back and forth all day via work accounts on what they wanted to have. After several options, it was decided that dinner would be chicken, potatoes, and a salad. The kind boyfriend asked several times if I, I mean, my friend, needed anything. She assured him she had everything in the fridge at home.

After work he ran some errands, one of which took him to Wal-Mart. He called this girl again and said, "I'm at Wal-mart. Do you need anything?" she replied, well, I have everything at home...just get some chocolate.

And he did. And he met her at her house. And she went to the fridge. And she had salad. And potatoes.

And no chicken.

Not a single, itty, bitty part of chicken.

So, they went to Chick-Filla for dinner. They got their chicken. And she felt like a dork.

kaylinannette said...

HAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!! I am still laughing from this story. After reading Alicia's comment I have to admit I thought of her when you first told me. haha, you two are a lot alike.

Anna Winn and Family said...

Oh man! Toooo funny - especially since your date was the ONLY male in Provo that day. Awesome.

Amie said...

Aahh good BYU memories. You must've been the envy of every woman in Brick Oven since you were the only one with a date.

Nola said...

Yea you are going to the championship game! I did have to laugh when I started reading this post because I knew the game is this upcoming weekend and I just dealt with checking in and out a MILLLION women to Helaman Halls for Women's Conference. Glad you got to enjoy some of that overabundance of womenhood. Hopefully you will have more fun this weekend!