Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Tomorrow...

Tomorrow I head to sunny St. George--please let it be sunny! It snowed like crazy yesterday! So much that I broke out my scarf and gloves, I thought I had put those behind for good. If the sun is really out it makes me think that I need sunglasses . . . I don't have any. Don't get the wrong idea, I'm just going for work. There's an urban planning conference that I'll be attending, now that I work in transportation I get to attend conferences about urban planning. Oh yeah.

To be honest, I had no idea how exciting it is to work in transportation. I never would have thought that would be the case. There are so many things that I get to know about regarding Salt Lake and the rest of the state. For example, they have extensive plans to expand light rail, trax, and other mass transit options. It's so cool. We went down to South Jordan to check out the end of the light rail line (an above ground subway) that they're building out by Daybreak communities. It's just one big rail right now, but since there are no homes, power lines, roads (at the moment), they can put the line down with less trouble and money. They've planned it out so that when the community does develop, the light rail line will be right there.

I also learned that they have big plans to develop a lot more retail stores in Lehi off of the freeway, over by Cabela's. If any of you are H&M fans, I hear that they have plans for an H&M to come out to Lehi. Why Lehi of all places? I have no idea. But I saw some preliminary plans and they are not messing around about their plans to develop Lehi. Of course, I'm sure those plans will be set back slightlydue to the recession, but in a few years, you know that a lot of cool things are coming our way! Also, I bet they put an H&M in Salt Lake, probably the Gateway or City Creek (the mall that the Church is building at the old Crossroads Mall). One of the things I've learned about H&M is they put a bunch in a centralized location. When I was in Boston last year, there were 2 H&Ms in a 2-block radius--I'm not kidding. The funny thing is we went to both and found completely different things in both locations. I bought clothes at both stores! I have to admit, I think H&M is cool, but it doesn't wow me, but there are some people who LOVE that place. They'll drive to Vegas just to shop there. They might be happy to know that it will eventually make its way out here.

Yesterday I learned that my old job just had another wave of layoffs. Personally, I think it's asinine that they chose this particular moment to do that. I think the people who run that non-profit are absolutely heartless . . . but hey, I'm not bitter, am I? But in spite of my hard feelings toward the Foundation, I must admit that I am so grateful I lost my job when I did. I knew at the time of my layoff that it was probably for the best. In retrospect, I couldn't have lost my job at a more perfect time. I found a job that I am really loving . . . it's not perfect, but I am learning so much and getting to do so many things that I like. It's not restricted to just one thing. I am sorry for my friends at the Foundation and hope they find work soon and are able to support their families. Good luck to all of them!

4 comments:

Alicia said...

I'm really glad that you are enjoying your job. Thats really important considering we spend half the day at our jobs. Anyway, I hope to see you soon. I think, I'm coming down 2 maybe 3 weekends in a row. I'll call and fill you in on the details.

Coordination Queen said...

Have fun in St. George! I wish I lived in a place that had better shopping, not that I go that often, but at least I'd have better stuff to choose from. :)

Charlotta-love said...

Have fun in St. George! I'm jealous.

And isn't life interesting. When you lost your job, it was lame. But now it could be worse. So losing your job was a great thing at the perfect time. I love when we get to see the reason behind some situations. I'm glad you found a job!

Anna Winn and Family said...

It's so crazy in the economy right now - it's such a blessing that you have a great job that you enjoy!!