Thursday, January 8, 2009

If Dreams Were Cars

In a series of unfortunate events, I got into a car accident and totalled my car. Kinda sad. My first car, a 2000 Pontiac Sunfire who I called Baby (only because that's all she was ever called, like come on, baby, make it up the hill, baby) is on her way to sleep with the fishes. It's kind of a bittersweet event. I'm excited by the prospect of a newer, better car. For example, I had broken the lock to my trunk so that I could only access it by folding down the back seat. But Baby was a good car. I had very few problems with her. She was cheap . . . good gas mileage and nobody was going to break into it and steal the CD player.

So now I'm faced with the process of buying a new car. It's a daunting task and I feel severely overwhelmed and inadequate. I find this funny. I'm a reasonably smart, capable person and yet I feel like I'll have to call on the powers of Allah to get me through this one. In all seriousness, however, I have been truly blessed in this experience (more on that later). But it's been one of those moments where you know that everything is going to work out. What a boost to my testimony and faith in Heavenly Father.

Since I'm still in the entertainment stage where I can entertain the thought of any car, I've been seriously considering a Nissan Murano or a Toyota Camry. These are probably my top two car choices. When I worked for Enterprise, the Nissan Murano was my all-time favorite car. It was spacious, drove so smooth, and was reliable. But, it's an SUV so I'm not entirely sure how fiscally prudent it would be to get that car. The one bright spot is that I work 10 minutes from my house. I don't drive a whole lot so even when gas goes back up, I don't think I'll be suffering from gas prices like a person who has to travel on the freeway and for long periods of time. The Toyota Camry also appears to be an excellent vehicle. In fact, I've heard very few complaints about this car. Considering my price range it might be right up my alley. On a lesser note, I'm also looking into the Nissan Altima and Honda CR-V. I like the Nissan Altima, my brother owns one and I've driven his a lot. It drives great and I've always liked it. I'm not sure about its reliability, however. And since I've been thinking about an SUV, the Honda CR-V has really jumped out at me. I've never noticed them until now so I might as well test drive that one.

So what's your advice on buying a new car? Anything helpful you can pass on to a rube like myself? Also, here are my car choices . . . tell me what you think:






Take a look at this car! How awesome is it?

8 comments:

Stacey said...

I like the last one! It looks like such a cute little fun car!!! What is it??!!

Chris said...

Hey Melissa, I'm a certified car nut. I'll respond with more later since I'm at work right now. There are a plethora (said like 3 amigos movie) of choices. Stay tuned. Do you want automatic or manual transmission? 4 cylinder for good gas mileage or more room of a small SUV (usually they have 6 cylinders = not as good mpg). The CRV comes with a 4 cylinder, so that is a good choice. Also, look at the Honda Fit (kind of a mini minivan hatchback thingy. It gets great mileage, has a cool seat fold down feature that gives you tons of room. OK, gotta go for now.

Anonymous said...

NEVER LEASE! And don't buy a car with the intention that you will just buy a new one in four or five years. Buy one that you can drive into the ground. You know, one that will last a good ten years or so. And after you have paid it off, continue to make car payments to yourself. Then, when you do really need a new car, you can pretty much pay for it outright with cash. This means that you will never again have to go into debt for a car....which is something that most people can never get out of.

Jeremy and I just bought a 2009 Honda Ridgeline. Paid for in full. All because we have been driving around our little beater Honda for ten years and were still "making payments" even though we owed nothing on it.

Holly said...

I am with you. Buying a car is an intimadating task. I make Sean do the haggling and I sit there with a stupid look on my face and nod or shrug every once in awhile.

My parents bought a brand new Camry last year and love it. And Eric is currently driving their 1996 Camry with over 250,000 miles on it and it's doing just fine. I don't have any thing to offer on any of the other cars you like because I've never driven/ridden in them. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Ok Melissa, this is your big chance! Don't settle for a mere Camry or a SUV. You are young, single and employed. Drive something that shows off your cute personality. In red! I'm talking maybe a Miata convertable (although in Utah the top would be up most of the year) or a bright yellow Scion. Or if you need a bigger something get a Mazda3 or Acura TL. Go for it!

Teri Porter

bec said...

they all look awesome. I've always loved the camry. Even if you don't drive much it would save you a lot on road trips or maybe down the raod when you drive more? happy shopping!

Charlotta-love said...

Girl, I have no idea but I need a new car also. My 'baby' has a cracked windshield, a passenger window held up by tape (I wish I were kidding), a driver's seat with leather so worn it's held together with purple duct tape (again, I wish I were kidding), and an odd clunking noise when I turn. ...It's not the dead body in the trunk either. I wish that were the problem!

Good luck. And for the record, I like the last picture the best.

Coordination Queen said...

Long term reliability, ie. cars that will outlive you... toyota. I purchased a VW Jetta when my old clunker bit the dust. It got great gas mileage. I thought it was cute. We've had it for 7 years and just recently had to do an expensive repair, but that is the only time we've had to do anything to it. It was 2 when we bought it. Although, it was made in Mexico rather than Germany and the paint job sucks, but I don't know if those two things correspond. Have fun and buy what you really want, not just something that will work. So are you ok? if you totalled your car that had to be a nasty wreck...