Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Pioneer Chic Is the New Black

This story makes me laugh. I know I've alread told loads of people and even posted it on my Facebook status, but I can't stop laughing about it.

People who know me know that the whole idea behind a pioneer reenactment really weirds me out. I consider myself blessed to have grown up in Washington and not subjected to a pioneer trek as a youth. I don't think we would ever have been friends.

I know...a pioneer trek brings a whole new perspective and appreciation for what the pioneers went through just to get to the Salt Lake Valley! I know...it deepens and reaffirms your testimony. But trust me...I appreciate it already. I don't want to have to reenact it.

I think it's the dressing up in pioneer garb that really gets me. I do not want to wear a long calico dress and a bonnet in 100-degree heat pulling a hand cart all with the intention of learning a life-changing lesson. Not ever. (Although I know, KNOW, that if the Lord ever blesses me with a husband, I am going to be compelled to go on one of those treks. Someone's going to ask me and I won't be able to say no, because even though I am LDS, I suffer extensively from good old-fashioned Catholic guilt.)

I know...I have a bad attitude about everything.

And so I was telling my friend yesterday at work how I think pioneer treks are weird.

To which she replied, "Well, you're kind of dressed pioneer chic today...in a good way, of course."

I tried to process this, but I kept hearing words like "pioneer," and "you look like one."

She had a point, and now I just feel self conscious. My dress was brown linen, there is a ruffle down the front just above the waist. But I also happened to be wearing brown, flowered espadrilles with a seriously high sole...so high that I'm sure there are some super models out there that would say, "Whoa, get back. I think I'd walk easier in spike heels."

And so I laughed...so loud and hard. I don't think she had any idea why it was so funny to me.

1 comment:

Coordination Queen said...

I went on one of those treks... right after I graduated from HS. One of the most miserable experiences in my life. wish I was joking. I got out of going on the trek as yw pres last year because I was EXTREMELY pregnant. It is however humorous to me that I'm reading this on pioneer day. Side note: I too suffer from catholic guilt. :)