Friday, November 21, 2008

Drives Me Crazy!


I discovered last week that there is one word I cannot abide: irregardless.
You can say thingy or whatchamacalit or whatever else and I'll probably actually say it too. I love big words, but I still find myself engaging in good, old-fashioned slang.
But here's the thing about the word irregardless, it's not a word. Think about it, regardless signifies despite, or without regard. It seems that people have combined regardless and irrespective and formed the word irregardless. They don't realize that the re- prefix and the ir- prefix is actually a double negative and therefore the word cancels itself out. Thus, it doesn't exist.
Here's what strikes me funny about using irregardless in speech--the person is always trying to sound intelligent, cultivated, or articulate. Instead, you sound like an idiot. It is not a word, it does not exist. It shouldn't be used. You shouldn't use it.
It just drives me crazy.

3 comments:

Coordination Queen said...

There are lots of words people use that drive me nuts. That is one of mine too.

Anonymous said...

My biggest frustration is when people use the word 'literally' when they aren't really being literal. Call me pedantic. I feel nearly the same annoyance at irregardless.

Anonymous said...

Haha! That is one of my most hated words!!

It's right up there with "unthaw."

Um...do you mean freeze?